Thursday, September 08, 2005

 

Katrina a political issue?

It seems that stories about the hurricane are becoming more and more political—resembling the post-9/11 coverage (from the country pulling together in the beginning to gradually using the issue to divide). I've noticed that there are more stories coming out from the Republican and Democrat sides that seem to have political motives.
What do you think about people using Katrina for their own political gain?

A few examples:
• Barbara Bush's refugee comments (which could be a whole seperate post on their own!): http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20050906/cm_thenation/120080
• Bush announces "day of prayer": http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usweatherbush
• Dems push for independent investigation: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/congress_investigation_dc
• Cheney says everythings A-OK on the coast: http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/08/Katrina.cheney.ap/index.html

Comments:
I believe that a lot of the political activity around Katrina is distracting from real relief efforts. While some issues must be discussed, I find it frustrating that so many people want to turn a tragedy into an opportunity to boost their own political standing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?