Friday, October 21, 2005

 

How do you view the UN?

How do you, the average college student, view the United Nations? From what you have seen and heard from the media, what do you think about how the United Nations functions? I am just curious about this. I have been heavily involved in model United Nations clubs and classes since I came to Mississippi State. I am currently taking a class that is dedicated to the United Nations. I say all this to state that I have a very strong opinion on the United Nations, how it functions, and how the media portrays it.

My youngest brother doesn't even know what the UN is, let alone what it does. This made me wonder if the American public as a whole even knows anything about the UN. If they do know something about the UN, I assume that their opinion is shaped by the media. I am just curious as to your personal opinions on the United Nations, and how you came to form those opinions.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Sorry, I deleted my comment. This is what I said.
Today is the 60th anniversary of the United Nations. So I've been reading a little more about them.
I'd have to say that most of my opinions on the United Nations are formed by what I've read in the media, and reports on the results of their actions, which is scary. I have not found very many reports from United States news sources.
There is one article on CNN.com that was published in their education section for students giving an overview of way the UN works, other than that most of the news I've read has been from international sources. It would be nice to have a greater understanding of the UN since the United States is one of the permanent members on the Security Council.
I rarely hear about what is going on unless the US is in conflict with the UN over something etc.
 
It seems the only time we hear things on the UN is during a time of crisis or when things aren't going in the right direction. Sammie you did bring up good and interesting points and it kinda makes me realize how much i really don't know about the UN...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?