Friday, March 03, 2006

 

Abortion bill for Mississippi

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the news lately, but I just heard about the proposal for the abortion ban for MS. The bill would make it illegal to have an abortion in MS unless the mother's health was at risk. It also makes abortion illegal in cases of rape and incest. I don't really agree with that part of it, but I don't really know of anything to do, I guess I should become more familiar with politics.
I also don't understand, as someone else posted about the South Dakota abortion ban, how they can pass the bill after Roe vs. Wade. Does anyone know why it works that way?

Comments:
State laws do not supercede the U.S. Supreme Court. What is happening is that several states — 11 of them, I think — are considering legislation to ban abortion. If these states pass such legislation, there is no doubt that it will be appealed in court. South Dakota has already passed similar legislation.

Eventually, states which pass this legislation will probably wind up arguing their legislation in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. There is no doubt that such legislation will be challenged by pro-abortion groups.

By having so many states consider this type of legislation at once, pro-life forces are hoping to provoke a showdown in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Right now, pro-life forces feel they have at least four solid anti-abortion votes on the court: Roberts, Scalia, Alito and Thomas. If a fifth justice would side with them, then Roe v. Wade could possibly be overturned.

BTW, Haley Barbour has said he will sign such legislation if it is passed, and the state attorney general has promised to defend it.

Could be interesting.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?