Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Survivor segregates contestants by race

Have you guys heard about this? It isn't, in a way, a political issue, but race is very politicized in this country, so in another way it is.

Contestants will be divided into hispanic, Asian, white and black teams, and producers say that originally they were just putting together the most diverse cast possible but realized how much racial/ethnic pride people had and decided to divide it up that way.

The story is here, if you haven't heard about it:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-08-23-survivor-race_x.htm

I was really shocked when I heard about this, because for years shows like this have been trying to make sure everything is even and fair between races and trying to be very pc about this kind of thing. (Actually I don't watch these shows, but it SEEMS like they have.)

I'm not one to worry overmuch about whether something is pc or not in general, but I think it's a bad idea to polarize the races this way, even in a very stupid television show. Especially considering all the racist ideas that have been thrown around lately along with the immigration debate.

I was wondering what you guys thought...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?