Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

Video games and politicians don't mix.

Sorry I haven't been in class I have had a stomach bug. Anyway back to the point. Many politicians recently have been jumping on the video game hater bandwagon. The list includes Hillary Clinton, Joseph Lieberman and many others from across the country. The game that has been getting the most attention lately is from a little company called Rockstar. Yes, the same company behind the Grand Theft Auto series. Their latest game Bully has been under attack from politicians around the world. The controversy has even prompted a name change in Europe. I guess my question is: Are video games a legit political topic especially games that have not even been released yet? So what do you think?

Comments:
I wonder how much interest the politicians really have in video games. I think that although video game violence is a real issue, I don't think politicians are seeking to write policy against them. I do think that Hillary & Co. are using the video games to pander to a certain group of voters. It is important to remember that this is an election year. This is one of many issues politicians will use to garner support from people who aren't strong supporters.
 
The government doesn't put ratings and warnings on CD's and DVD's. The film and music industry self-polices their products in order to prevent their goods from being suject to government censorship. The video game industry does the same which makes this issue all the more arbitrary. Capitol hill only has jurisdiction over broadcasting and public media. The logic is that people are making a choice to purchase other goods. Therefore censorship is to be left to the individual. However in reference to broadcasting and public media, there is not the same choice involved as when purchasing DVD's, CD's, Cable, or Video games, so the federal government is more involved.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?