Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 

"Invisible Children"

Tonight I went to the showing of Invisible Children put on by Campus Crusade for Christ and the Black Student Association. Many may have seen it advertised around campus. The Invisible Children video was made to inform Americans about the poverty and kidnapping of children in Uganda, Africa. The video began by explaining how serious the poverty in Uganda is. The video then explained about the war between government and the rebels of Africa. The children are being stolen in the middle of the night and taken to the desert where they are trained to fight and kill. The children are desensitized from seeing many being tortured and killed and they are told to do the same. Out of fear of being killed, the children will not try to escape back home. Once the children are trained they go back to the villages and capture more children. Children that do not want to be kidnapped go to the city and sleep at night in rooms with hundreds of other children. Many are not aware of this situation going on in Africa and the government is still trying to restore peace.

Comments:
Hello Ragan,

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I had desired and intended to attend that movie viewing myself, but at the last minute I allowed circumstances and situations to alter my plan. Now, I don't feel any better that I missed that movie.

Thomas
 
OMG! that is a very sad story! I hope that those who were able to watch the video felt led to help encourage more awareness of the situation. Is there any way to watch the video if someone like myself weren't able to make it?
 
I too wanted to attend the documentary on the Uganda tragedy. There are many movies out that can give us ideas of what is going on in Africa, one movie being "Black Diamond." I am sure that the documentary gives a better pictorial of what the situation is over there. I am saddened I missed the documentary and I hope we can somehow make a difference.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?