Monday, January 22, 2007

 

Should minimum wage be raised in Mississippi?

I first became interested in this topic after reading about it in the school newspaper. After seeing that minimum wage could be raised to as much as $7 an hour I saw dollar signs in my head. That day I began to discuss the topic with my boss and began to realize that it may not be as wonderful as it may seem. Raising the minimum wage is not the answer to improving the wages of Mississippi workers. Last time minimum wage raised it eliminated approximately 645,000 entry-level jobs. First off how many people actually only make minmunm wage. I have had a job every year since i was 15 and have always made above minimum wage. After talking facts with my boss he explained to me that it would increase his labor cost $2,500 a year. This doesn't seem like very much at first but you have to realize that the business owners need to pay themselves too. When it comes to getting paid the business owner always have to pay their empolyees first.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?