Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 

Let's talk Iraq

And I don't mean about the war itself. I want to know what you think about the policies, whether or not they've been a failure or a success, and what you think the effects of the war have done on our society and on those societies in the Middle East. I'll leave my opinion at the door, and if you want to know where I stand, just ask me in a comment. The only thing I will say is that I'm extremely concerned about the state of America's image and its viability. I would like to share with you a video and an image that have struck a nerve with me recently. Be warned, they are a little bit graphic.

Please take a couple of moments to watch this video:

Peace Takes Courage: WWJD?


From Bag News Notes:



...Nina Berman's photo of Iraq veteran Ty Ziegel and his wife, Renee Kline, won a first prize in the portraits category in the 2007 World Press photo awards announced Friday.



What are your first reactions?

... I ask because I'm interested in what initial assumptions you made that were mostly that, and what new thoughts and questions you had after reviewing Nina's extensive photo gallery of Ty (led off by a sweet "before" picture of the couple) here at the Redux Stock photo site. (Note: these images are for commercial sale only).

Comments:
I had a very hard time watching the video, in fact i did not even finish watching it because it was so emotionally overwhelmeing, I do not think that i realize how lucky i am to live in a country with so much freedom, i can not imagine what those children are going through
 
That picture on the page was enough for me. I think the war and its policies bring up different emotions for different people. I know people who have been to the war and have came back unharmed physically but emotionally harmed. I think the war has had its good points and has had its bad points but i would not want anyone i know to go over there.
 
Nice job! It was a very entertaining post.
 
Whoa. That video was really sad. Like Amanda said, it makes you think about how lucky you are to live in a country where bombs and killings aren't an everyday occurrance. The picture of the wedding couple broke my heart. The media usually avoids showing such graphic pictures to us, but maybe they should to make us understand more of what is happening to our own people. And in turn people would have stronger feelings, and feel more led to do something about it
 
One of my best friends went to war and came home to a divorce. He missed the birth of his only son. He's been depressed for nearly a year since he's been back.
 
Hello Tyler,

In short, personally, I think the policies have been a success. Apparently, the effects of the war have confused our society and liberated those societies in the Middle East.

My impression of each of these photos is only the principle of love can overcome and defeat such disturbing images of the injured children.

Note: I wasn't able to view any before pictures of the couple at the Redux Stock photo site. But, from the one photo I viewed, I saw the image of one of America’s bravest hero standing next to a beautiful woman.

Our Nation should be more thankful and appreciative of the oath of enlistment and sacrifices made by the Marine and his family.

Thomas
 
That video is very disturbing and very graphic. It really puts the war in perspective, but those images are part of war. Whether we like it or not, those images will happen in a war. I hate to see those images because I know that this war could have been avoided and it shows the emotional and heart aching side of war.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I think it's very easy for us to sit here and say that these images are part of the sacrifice, part of the price we have to pay fpr freedom, just the way things are, or any kind of "necessity" to bring about what the American government thinks is the best policy for the Middle East. It's easy, because we don't have to face it in our everyday lives. I looked at the video and I was struck by the fact that Jesus wouldn't have anything to do with bombing children...that's not his gig. I think it's a little unfair to have the song playing in the background, because it seems to me like it's blaming Christians for actions that any real Christian would have no part in.

As far as policy of the United States government, which has tried to hide behind the guise of religion, I don't feel like the actions it has taken has led to any kind of stability in the region. Something like 2 million people have fled the country...thats about the population of all of Mississippi. I just don't see how that, with the everyday bombings and murders of innocent men women and children, can be called successful. Could you imagine this kind of "success" on the streets of Jackson?
 
Hello Samuel,

I have approximately two questions for you:

(1.) Take a review of history, dating back to at least August 1990, and make a determination about whom you trust. The tyrannical government of the Nations that the United States has confronted over the last few years, or the democratic government of the United States?

(2.) Exactly who is responsible for the everyday bombings and murders of innocent men, women, and children?

(3.) Is it possible that if United States Government wasn't taking the measures that are being taking by employing our fabulous military forces as is; we could very well be seeing this kind of "success" on the streets of Jackson?

(4.)If by some very likely possibility we were seeing this kind of "success" on the streets of Jackson, or any other city of interest to the American population; what would everyone be complaining about than?

Just to share a thought with you, on September 11, 2001, I was in Germany. About 5:30 that morning, I was involved in my favorite pastime of listening to the morning news while preparing for the day. As I went about my morning activities, my attention was captured by a broadcast informing of a tragic bombing that had just occurred in some other foreign country. Now, get this; my very next thought was, "It won't be long before a very similar incident will be occurring on the soil of the United States of America." Than, I completed my morning activities and proceeded with my day. About nine hours later, which would be approximately 2:00 p.m. Germany time, I was sitting in a classroom while on break when an instructor entered the room and stated y'all aren't going to believe this. The instructor turned on the television set to inform us of the events of September 11, 2001, unfolding. By the way, she was correct. I could not fathom the sight of those aircraft flying into those building. Next, we were informed that multiple hi-jacking had occurred. At that point, I wondered how bad it was going to get before things were stabilized. Ultimately, my thought was, "Who would do something like this with the knowledge of the consequences of their actions. The United States Government has to be very careful about confronting this act of war, and not play into the hands of those responsible for this act of war. By the way, before my thought process was completed, I had realized that in some shape, form, or fashion, Mr. Saddam Hussein’s fingerprints were all over the events of September 11."

So question number five and six are:

(5.) Should the citizens of the United States be thankful for our governmental actions, or brace ourselves for the next viewing of helpless citizens having to make a life decision about allowing themselves to burn to death as opposed to leaping from a high rise building to their death?

(6.) Who will be the next American citizen to make a command decision to take back an aircraft from a group of terrorist and what group of innocent citizens will follow his or her lead to fight back regardless of being conditioned to comply with the instructions of terrorist, and have faith in the government to use diplomatic venues to gain his or her safe release?

As Sylvester Stallone, would say, "They drew first blood, not the citizens of democracy...."

P.S. No, it isn't about revenge, it's all about self-defense.

P.S.S. O.K. I miss counted, it was six questions.

Thomas
 
No citizen of Iraq had anything to do with 9-11...so they shouldn't have to suffer...period. In addition, no government official in Iraq had anything to do with 9-11. None of the children that the United States killed while bombimg Baghdad had anyhing to do with 9-11.

Now i realize it's easy to always fall back to saying that "they" did this. But i think too many people don't realize who "they" are. Most of them are uneducated extremists...and the more the infrastructure of Iraq is degraded (especially their education system) the more terrorists we create, and the more that the terrorists create.

We have a working military and police force...it's highly unlikely that these kinds of continuous bombing could be perpetrated on American soil.

I guarantee you that the American government is responsible for more deaths of innocent people than the poor souls who died on September 11, but it's just called "collateral damage" or things happening under the "fog of war". Look at Vietnam, look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and now look at Iraq. Is there some acceptable number of innocent people that can die in order for Americans to think that it's ok because we're protecting ourselves? What gives us that right?

I think that we Americans should be very thankful of the government that we CAN have...but it gets me upset when people think that we are somehow being unpatriotic to criticize it. I mean, that's how America was founded...by a bunch of people who questioned the rule of people who they thought were being unjust to the citizens.
 
Hello Samuel,

Question for you, “Did you ever see the movie, "Cool Hand Luke," starring Steve McQueen? If not, the movie was about the operation of a prison where there was one convict whom the guards and warden concentrated their duties and responsibilities’ toward. The basic theme of the movie was, "What we have here is a Failure to Communicate."
Apparently, your view and my view have reached the same threshold, "A Failure to Communicate." God's sped

Thomas
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?