Tuesday, February 13, 2007

 

"The Machine" Campus Politics

I have some friends at the University of Alabama that say all of the elections are won by someone in the greek system. Politics are so unfair that many students refer to elections as “The Machine”. When it is time for someone to be elected for something all the fraternities and sorority president’s meet. At this meeting they discuss who will be running for the event. Such as student government, homecoming queen, and any other position that students vote on. After the presidents meeting, they then have a chapter meeting with their organization. The presidents tell their members who to vote for. All members are required to vote for the greek candidate or they will be fined. Considering that the university is about 39% greek it is almost impossible for anyone who is not in a fraternity or sorority to win an election. Is this fair? What can be done to change it?

Comments:
No I don't think that system is fair, but i'm sure the same sort of thing happens here too and at lots of other schools. Imagine what goes on behind the scenes in politics in Washington D.C....it's not always fair, but that's just how it is
 
Unfortunately this is the case with campus politics. The problem lies not only with this unnecessary form of elitism, but with the apathetic attitudes held by the majority of students.
I know most Greek organizations require members to vote, which is a good thing, but I won't assume that many of them tell members who to vote for. After all, they have no way of knowing who voted for who, and it is an individuals right to choose the candidate he/she thinks is best.
Politics in America also suffers from elitist representatives, from the President down to local reps. Big business is catered to in this country more than its people. For example, the huge tax cuts for corporations and the rich came very swiflty after the 2000 election. Another example is the outsourcing of jobs overseas while Americans lose employment opportunities. There is practically no government oversight on the hiring of illegal aliens in this country, but they are swift to draw up plans for a fence across the U.S.-Mexico border, using (and wasting) taxpayers money. But it's not the rich's tax money, it's the little guys'. In my opinion we don't have an illegal immigration problem, we have an illegal employment problem.
I know I got a bit off topic, but my point is if you are dissatisifed with the way campus politics are run, just wait until you participate in national elections. It's sick sometimes.
 
Hello Ragan,

In my opinion, as long as there isn't a university and/or student association rule that prevent all of the fraternities and sororities from conducting their actions, their behavior should be admired and learned from.
These appear to be organizations that are motivated to act to get things done. For instance, if the fraternities and sororities are acting in this manner, what prevents other members of the student body from doing the same?
Also, it is better that they act in perceivable positive manner as opposed to certainty of negative manner.

Thomas
 
I agree 100% with Thomas. When I wrote the blog I failed to mention I am a member of a greek organization. I was inspired to write about campus politics after over hearing a conversation talking bad about the fraternities and sororities and how nobody outside the greek system would ever win a Mississippi State election. I agree with Thomas’s statement that if the student body feels this way they should join together and elect a candidate.
 
I can definitely see both sides of the situation. One side of me hates the idea of "the Machine." I don't think anyone should have to vote if they don't want to, or at least not for the candidate they are informed to vote for. Just because you belong to one group (sorority/fraternity) doens't mean every single person in it thinks and acts alike. We are our own individual. From what I have heard about "the machine" in the past, it goes much much deeper than what everyone actually knows. But I guess if you are tryin to get something accomplished, it works.
 
The thing that prevents non-Greek students on campus is a lack of organization, and a lack of the ability to organize. The Greek system is a very limited, overly elitist one. They only vote for each other and don't consider the other candidates. This isn't to be admired. This is absolutely stupid. Often, Republicans and Democrats do the same thing. Members of one party will only vote for that party, regardless of whether or not the candidate fits their needs as individuals. It's this hive-mind mentality that flies entire swarms of idiots right into battles they don't understand. If people would stop following the leader and vote in their best interest, a lot of the problems with this bipartisan "system" would be eradicated. That won't happen, though.
 
I actually attended the University of Alabama and can remember several people talking about how useless it was to go out and vote in the upcoming elections. They said that it was a waste of time because the election had already been determined.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I agree with aaron, but I believe it's more about support than organization. I do believe that Greeks vote for Greeks, and there are a lot of Greeks on campus.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?