Thursday, February 01, 2007
Texas bill for parent teacher meetings.
I read this article today about Texas parents getting fined and getting a misdemeanor on their record for missing a scheduled teacher's meeting. I understand that parents should get involved with their children's education, but I think this is rediculous. Some parents have to work alot just to be able to provide for their children and they are going to get punished for trying to live. This just doesn't make sense to me. They can come up with something better than that to help the kids.
Comments:
<< Home
I have to wonder if it's mandatory for everyone, or just for parents with children that have failing grades. My parents never attended a parent-teacher meeting unless it was the only way to get a report card, but my grades were good. I don't think that parents should have to attend if the child is fine.
I really think that schools shouldn't worry about whether the parents come to a meeting or not. I feel bad for the kids whose parents don't care enough to go, but a fine is unnecessary! A teacher or counselor should pick up the slack.
As a person who got my degree in Education, I can tell you how important it is to have the parents involved in the education of their child. The parents can act as an ally to the teacher by having them to do their work at home. Now, in many schools the parents set up a meeting with the teacher. I can see this as a possible way to fine the parents if they set up the meeting and just did not show. This is taking away from outside time for the teacher. There are also parent teacher days that the school sets up that parents are not required to come to in Mississippi, but it is there for the parents. Usually the parents that come are of the ones who are doing well anyway.
Post a Comment
<< Home

