Friday, February 16, 2007
The Warming of the Globe
I find it interesting that so many people instantly bashed "Fahrenheit 451" for being biased and lopsided, yet no one is even thinking about claiming that for "An Inconvenient Truth." When it comes right down to it, global warming is a far more important issue that the re-election of George W. Bush (though I guess some may disagree).
"An Inconvenient Truth" really fails to sell the whole "truth" aspect. As it turns out, there are many scientists in the world who disagree with all the evidence presented and actually have their own evidence to back themselves up. This is not revealed in Al Gore's motion picture. This shows that there are two sides to this argument. It's not just scientific proof. It's scientific assumption, and that's failed miserably over the years.
Michael Crichton pointed out that the big scientific phenomenon in the early 20th Century was eugenics. Thousands of people agreed with it, but no one really ever thought to prove it one way or the other. Even back then the media and the government led the debate, causing many people to believe that eugenics was correct. There were even presidents that believed in it. Then Hitler came along and showed how incredibly stupid and opinion-based the idea of eugenics was, and it kind of disappeared, and everyone in America that ever agreed with it phased this belief out. There's a chance global warming is a similar issue.
What I'm wondering is how many of you in this class believe or don't believe in global warming? Why? How many of you merely accept it because you hear it all the time, or how many of you deny it just because the opposing party supports the belief? Have any of you actually read the research? I know I haven't, but I think I'm going to now.
"An Inconvenient Truth" really fails to sell the whole "truth" aspect. As it turns out, there are many scientists in the world who disagree with all the evidence presented and actually have their own evidence to back themselves up. This is not revealed in Al Gore's motion picture. This shows that there are two sides to this argument. It's not just scientific proof. It's scientific assumption, and that's failed miserably over the years.
Michael Crichton pointed out that the big scientific phenomenon in the early 20th Century was eugenics. Thousands of people agreed with it, but no one really ever thought to prove it one way or the other. Even back then the media and the government led the debate, causing many people to believe that eugenics was correct. There were even presidents that believed in it. Then Hitler came along and showed how incredibly stupid and opinion-based the idea of eugenics was, and it kind of disappeared, and everyone in America that ever agreed with it phased this belief out. There's a chance global warming is a similar issue.
What I'm wondering is how many of you in this class believe or don't believe in global warming? Why? How many of you merely accept it because you hear it all the time, or how many of you deny it just because the opposing party supports the belief? Have any of you actually read the research? I know I haven't, but I think I'm going to now.
Comments:
<< Home
I do believe that things are getting worse climate wise. When you have so many harmful gases being produced and spread into the atmosphere...it's probably not a good thing.
As far as proof, well, many scientists have been studying the polar ice caps melting, a very easy phenomena to measure. As this happens the sea level rises, causing floods, in addition, something like 70 percent of the sun's rays that WOULD be bounced back into space are absorbed, which heats the Earth's surface.
Recently, around 2000 scientists from around the globe wrote this comprehensive study about it...
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4545
This kind of gives you an idea about what they have found. Politics aside, I think a couple thousand of the world's smartest people would have a good idea about what's going on...at least I hope so.
As far as proof, well, many scientists have been studying the polar ice caps melting, a very easy phenomena to measure. As this happens the sea level rises, causing floods, in addition, something like 70 percent of the sun's rays that WOULD be bounced back into space are absorbed, which heats the Earth's surface.
Recently, around 2000 scientists from around the globe wrote this comprehensive study about it...
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4545
This kind of gives you an idea about what they have found. Politics aside, I think a couple thousand of the world's smartest people would have a good idea about what's going on...at least I hope so.
Global warming, according to several studies, is very much real. Whether or not it's actually a serious problem, I don't know. I do think it has the potential to become one. Whether it's problematic or not, I think taking preventative measures, such as developing and using alternative fuel and energy sources, is a good idea.
I'm more worried about the upcoming issue of overpopulation of the Earth (expected to start between 2010 and 2012) and what it's based on, drinkable water. This is a way more serious issue that is going ignored. But the question is, how do you prevent it?
I'm more worried about the upcoming issue of overpopulation of the Earth (expected to start between 2010 and 2012) and what it's based on, drinkable water. This is a way more serious issue that is going ignored. But the question is, how do you prevent it?
I don't really believe that global warming is happening. The scientists have shown in the past that the world's climates go into cycles from cold to warm. I think that this is just the pendulum swinging to the warm side.
I agree with the issue of global warming is a major issue in the world. This should be more on people's minds than who won the basketball game whhich does actually include me personally. It is becoming a major problem.
It should be obvious to everyone that global warming is indeed happening to our world. Winter used to last a lot longer then a month and winter used to be a lot colder. I am from Tennessee and I believe we might have got snow and ice once this year. We used to get it at least four or more times. It is still February and I am already wearing shorts!
Not only will this effect polar ice caps, but it will effect disease and vegetation. The cold weather kills off insects including mosquitoes which can cause the West Nile Virus. Our summers are beginning to become very hot and dry so farmers are finding difficulty in producing crops.
Post a Comment
Not only will this effect polar ice caps, but it will effect disease and vegetation. The cold weather kills off insects including mosquitoes which can cause the West Nile Virus. Our summers are beginning to become very hot and dry so farmers are finding difficulty in producing crops.
<< Home
