Thursday, March 22, 2007

 

Bong Hits for Jesus!

Joseph Frederick is a senior at a small high school Jeane,Alaska. During a parade Joseph made a large sign with Bong hits for Jesus written on it. He then walked off school property and began showing the sign. The Principle immediately ran to Joseph and crumpled his sign. Later that day Joseph was suspended for 5 days. Does this invade his freedom of speech?



getCSS("3088867")
FREE VIDEO

Comments:
I am not sure on this one! I guess it depends on if he goes to a public or private school and if it causes a negative commotion. What does he mean by "Bong Hits?" Is he talking about smoking for Jesus? I don't agree with the sign at all...I think it is disrespectful to Jesus Christ. I studied a similar case in Mass Media Law where a student was suspended for passing out condoms to the students. The way the Judicial System came up with the case was viewing the community in which it was taken place. If it is a conservative community then you have to follow the norms.
 
well i guess it depends on if it was a school sponsered parade or not, if it was then it was out of line, if it wasn't then the school doesn't have the right to suspend him
 
It does violate his right of free speech and expression if he was off school grounds (if the school was private), but at the same time he may have been truant. If he was on public school grounds, his rights may have been violated. As far as what Brooke was saying, the community gauges taste through the "ROTH" test, but it's only an assessment of taste, not constitutionality. I have a feeling the courts are going to come out in the boy's favor. Also, keep in mind that tobacco and other things can be smoked out of a bong; he never made reference to anything illegal, technically.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I have a different opinion on this matter because being on school property calls for different rules. Something similar happened to me, I had a pocket knife in my truck on school property. The police did a search of all lockers and supposedly could search vehicles. Because of this 17 people were suspended for having various things in there vehicles. One kid was driving his dads truck and was suspended because his dad had left a chain saw in the toolbox. We all felt that our rights had been violated, but while you are on school property different rules apply. This statement that this kid made would not have had near the consequences if he had chosen a different location to engage his free speech. I do not know the rule on this type of matter on school grounds, but I do know that there is nothing in your possession, car, or locker that is exempted from being searched, because while on school property it is school property.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?