Friday, March 02, 2007
Cancer Vaccine
Virginia is passing legislation that will require all 6th grade girls to be vaccinated against the STD that causes cervical cancer. The requirement would go through for the 2009 school year, but parents do have the option to review literature and opt out of the vaccination for their children.
Comments:
<< Home
I saw a segment on this on the Today show recently and I do not think it is a good idea yet. The vaccine is still very new and they do not know all the side effects yet. Children already have lots of shots and vaccines to get and adding one more may or may not be beneficial. I think they should wait until they know more about this vaccine and more studies have been done.
Yes, I agree...I don't think that it should be mandatory just yet. I think that the option of getting the shot should be up to the parents.
Cervical cancer is now a major concern to women. I think this is a very good idea b/c a couple of months ago, I was presented with a cancer scare. I had to undergo several tests that were painful, but all of the tests were worth the pain to find out that I do not have cervical cancer. I am at hight risk of this cancer so I must see my doctor every six months. A communication teacher also battled cervical cancer. It was trying times in her life but thankfully she survived! I feel that if this shot could help prevent this awful disease then go for it! Side effects are much better than cancer.
I haven't done much research on the vaccine but I do believe that this should be optional right now. What if there are some terrible side effects that may cause serious problems in the future. Instead of trying to enforce a vaccination then maybe they should consider educating them more on abstinence.
I don't see how an injection can ever be mandatory. Common law should point to injections being an invasion of privacy, so if someone doesn't want one for whatever reason they shouldn't have to get one. Just an observation.
Post a Comment
<< Home

