Thursday, April 12, 2007

 

Duke Lacrosse Players

The three Duke Lacrosse players that were being accused of sexually assaulting a woman were exhonerated of all charges yesterday after the District Attorney brought forth charges without actually having any clear evidence other than the woman saying that she was assaulted. The players will now be known for these charges no matter what. Do you think that it is right for the DA's to be able to charge someone with something with so little evidence? I hope that these charges do not follow these guys for the rest of their lives.

Comments:
Hello Chris,

With your post and question, I'm going to walk on eggshells while replying. First, I make the remark that I have GREAT respect and support our justice system. While accepting the reality that I haven't been privileged with personally observing the facts, circumstances, and evidence for this case, I cannot not make a valid judgment about what happened here. A few semesters ago, I took a course in psychology and law. During that course, we encountered information that related a legal procedure isn't as much about determining the truth as opposed to appeasing the will of society. So, let's take a moment to use some common sense. The elements are:
(1.) A fraternity party in progress
(2.) Entertainment offered by a
stripper
(3.) Stripper was a black female
(4.) Party attendees were white
males
(5.) Apparently, alcohol and
possibly other intoxicating
substances on the premises

Now, if someone was to honestly review those elements and make a logical assessment what would be the summation of the equation? Any reasonable adult would suggest this equation is a recipe for disaster. Therefore, where there is smoke, the logical conclusion can be a fire is in progress or has occurred. It is very likely the stripper was sexually assulted. In essence, without the proper control mechanism, when the mixing of a combustible material encounters a spark producing object there's going to be some problems. My point is, "The stripper shouldn’t' have been present at the party and the Lacrosse players shouldn't have requested her services. This issue isn't about being black or being white. This issue is about some young people making some very bad choices and engaging in some questionable activity. As for your question; yes, it is right for the DA's to be able to charge someone with something with so little evidence. Also, remember that it is the responsibility of a grand jury to accept or reject the charges. O.K., let's place a twist on your question. It isn't right for the DA's to misrepresent the evidence and use unethical tactics to taint the due process of the law. Maybe the stripper was wrong for being there. Maybe the Lacrosse players were wrong for asking her to be there and doing what ever else, and maybe the DA was wrong for some things. A valid legal action by the attorney general has been implemented. We live with the decision or appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court. Finally, the fate of those guys life and the girl’s life rest upon their shoulders. The guys and girl can start making their lives better by making better choices and decision about the environment they place themselves in and how they behave as adults. Than again, none of us are immune from behaving in a questionable manner. If society could only stop looking at issues in black and white to see issues in red which is the color that pumps life into all of mankind; maybe, just maybe, all of the confusion will be eliminated.

Thomas
 
Yes they probably should not have had all of those things present at their party. They definitely should not have had the stripper present, but how many college kids have attended parties with things that should not have been present, I know I have. I haven't been to a party with strippers present, but there were other things present. As far as I know having strippers present is not illegal. Now, the woman saw her an opportunity to make some easy money and she decided to take it and it almost worked. I am not saying that the DA did not have enough resonable evidence to put charges on the Lacrosse players, because I also have not seen the evidence in the case. Obviously he made a mistake or else he would not have appologized for the mistakes he made.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?