Wednesday, April 04, 2007

 

Tommy Thompson

This week Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson announced he is running for the '08 presidential election, he is a Republican and a former member of Bush's cabinet. I do not know much about him but from what I have read he is conservative and has a lot of new ideas for foriegn policies. I was just wondering what you guys think about him.

Comments:
Tommy Thompson is infamous for abusing the line-item veto. He's faced intense scrutiny over things like cutting off funding for medical research. His jump in the race is a joke to Republicans and Democrats alike IMO.
 
I like many of you have never heard of this man. That is the main problem because he waited as long as he did the other candidates have already been established and have the name recognition. Not to mention that they have already got the jump on raising money for the campaign. To me this is a waste of money and time for him. On the other hand he might run away with it.
 
I have never heard of him. The whole issue of line-item veto is always debated whether it is good or bad for governors to use. The abuse of it is never good though.
 
I can't see this as a bad thing though. If he brings in fresh ideas that are liked by the people, maybe he can at least get some of the other Republican candidates to see these views and make a change to there platform. This is kind of idealistic but I think that it is a good thing even though he is not well known.
 
Hello Amanda,

Yes, I briefly observed an article indicating Tommy Thompson was seeking the '08 nomination, but for some reason at the time the article didn't captivate my attention because I was either pressured for time to complete an academic assignment, or there was no name recognition to slow me down after thinking about the vast field of Presidential candidates for '08. With that said, I did entertain a thought pertaining to a subject we touched on in class on Thursday, April 05; that subject being correlated significantly to public offices being am element of religious (Christian) responsibilities. My actual thought was, “There seems to no longer be a tendency to associate public office with a sacred responsibility. Any and everybody throw their hat into an arena that should be reserved for the elite of personal traits and characteristics." What is this world coming to? Now, as said before, I don't know anything about Tommy Thompson, but if he formerly served in President Bush's cabinet, he may just be a candidate to keep your eyes on.

Thomas
 
I have not heard of Tommy Thompson either. Has he announced any issues besides foreign policy? What is his view on abortion b/c it seems as if most candidates, whether they are republican or democratic, agree with keeping abortion legal. Is he very conservative or in the middle?
 
I don't know anything about Tommy Thompson. I do feel that it is a mistake for him to run for the election. There are too many other candidates who are already well recognized. I think that it would be a waste of his time and money. But, on the other hand I don't know much about politics. This campaign has been full of surprises as to who is running anyway.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?