Thursday, April 19, 2007

 
The Virginia Tech shootings have opened up a whole new can of worms with several topics of interest. First you have the whole imigration thing where people will be saying there should be tighter imigration laws to get into the US. Second you have the whole gun control issue where people have always said that it should be harder to get weapons to even people saying that our country should do away with weapons. THird you have the new hot topic of how to keep everyone safe from people that are in our country. I don't know the whole steps to becoming a US citizen from another country, but I do know that it is a pain to become a citizen from another coutry. I don't think that it is a major problem with our immigrants coming in and terrorizing our country. I don't think that this is the issue. Secondly the gun control issue is another hot button topic. I know that to get a gun in the US is not that hard as long as you are not an ex convict and you have your form of ID. I think that this should and will be tightened up to prevent people from having weapons that should not have them. Obviously there will still be loop holes to get weapons into your hands, but I do believe that heavy artillery that is used by the Army should be kept out of the hands of civilians. I am very much in favor of keeping my weapons, but I should never have some sub machine gun or anything of that nature. Thirdly is the issue of invasion of privacy to keep people safe and to monitor people that the police feel are a threat to others, but how do you determine who is a threat and who is not a threat. I don't feel that people should be able to monitor me unless there is significant evidence that I have done something wrong. It is a very touchy subject and one that will not be resolved anytime soon.

Comments:
Hello Chris,

All of these topics and issues that you've touched on are fine and dandy. But, in short, I think what the American society misses out on the most is, "Love thy neighbor as thy self." As I've continued to monitor the Virginia Tech shooting, more understanding surfaces as to why? Now, by no means am I defending the actions of Cho Seung-Hui. Apparently, there were numerous people with knowledge that he was severely troubled by depression, loneliness, rejection, and who knows what else. Check out the following:
- High school classmates say
gunman was bullied
- Police say package sent to NBC
News between shootings is of
little use
- Cho Seung-Hui was bullied by
fellow high school students
-- Who mocked his shyness and
strange way he talked
- Outlined his grievances against
religion and the wealthy
- Hatred toward unspecified people
-- Accused having wronged him
-- Adding to portrait of
solitary man who rarely
managed normal social
interactions
- Cho never opened his mouth and
ignore attempts to strike up a
conversation
- In English class teacher had
students read aloud
-- Cho’s rejected class
participation by looking
down in silence
-- After teacher threatened to
fail him for participation
> Cho started to read in
a strange, deep voice
- The whole class started laughing
and pointing and saying, ‘Go
back to China,’”
- Reema Samaha and Erin Peterson
graduated from Westfield High
School last year
-- Unclear whether Cho singled
them out
- Cho scrawled question mark on
sign-in sheet on first day of
literature class
-- Other students came to know
him as “the question mark
kid”

Since Cho's shooting rampage, I've heard him characterized as psycho, insane, crazy, and who knows what else. Not once have I heard anyone indicate sympathy toward Cho for not being able to overcome the discouraging forces that pushed him beyond the point of no return. When will society began to indicate mercy, compassion, empathy, and other loving elements for people whom are ultimately conditioned to commit such horrendous acts. If I understand correctly, other people made Cho into what he became. Cho just wanted to be loved and accepted, but others ridiculed him. Now, amidst everything else you've mentioned, if members of America's society (especially, students) would learn the value of common courtesies, respect, and decent treatment toward mankind; that may be the origin of eliminating everything else you've mentioned here. Once again, I'm not defending the actions of Cho because he did have a responsibility of not paying the foolishness of others any attention. Unfortunately, the occurrence of Cho's shooting rampage is probably the perfect occasion for everyone whom ever ridiculed and mocked him to take a moment to reflect back upon their behavior, ask for forgiveness for their inappropriate behavior, obtain a list of all the victims, and contact them or their family members to apologize for their behavior toward Cho.

Thomas
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I don't know about all of that Thomas...seems like you want me to have sympathy for the devil. This guy did evil acts...destroyed a large amount of lives, because people teased him? Who in their life hasn't been ridiculed? If people making fun of me was the only thing I had to worry about in my life I would truly be blessed. He compared himself to Jesus and Moses...then killed nearly 3 dozen people...no amount of teasing could make (and this is just a guess) 100% of sane people do such a thing. I think that we, as a society, tend to believe that there has to be some event that could trigger such a rampage...some act of hatred or neglect that makes a person do these kinds of things. I think we should realize that some people are just crazy. Crazy people's brain aren't wired right and they do crazy things...like kill over 30 people because they pay over $12,000 dollars a year in tuition (VA Tech) and complain about rich people. This guy didn't know what poor was. Poor people can't afford 2 guns and ammunition. Poor people die trying to find food or by simple diseases like cholera or smallpox...not by killing themselves after a shooting spree. This guy gets no sympathy from me.
 
Another thing that is odd to me and I am not sure if anyone has even talked about this but the doors at Virginia Tech did not lock. I know all of the classes I have had at Mississippi State University, the doors locked so if this event did take place we could close the door. I think this could have saved a lot more people. Even if the shooter shot through the door, the bullets could have been slowed down by the door. Either way, I am sure like Chris said that a lot of issues will be raised and they need to be taken care of.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?