Sunday, April 22, 2007
What was your favorite thing that you learned in Political Communication class?
Dr. Smith gave the graduate students a final paper to write. I thought I would make a post on the topic we were given to see what you all would respond. I am changing it up a bit but I would like to know what you all learned from this class?
I learned that it is important to do research on the candidates instead of following what you hear on the news. Everything gets edited by the gatekeepers and for voters to be able to make a logical decision when voting, they should research each candidate. I also found the topic on the Internet and politics very interesting. The fact that now we can view political material without having the media control it is amazing.
Now, what have you learned that you liked and will take with you for years to come?
I learned that it is important to do research on the candidates instead of following what you hear on the news. Everything gets edited by the gatekeepers and for voters to be able to make a logical decision when voting, they should research each candidate. I also found the topic on the Internet and politics very interesting. The fact that now we can view political material without having the media control it is amazing.
Now, what have you learned that you liked and will take with you for years to come?
Comments:
<< Home
I learned about politics in general. I knew nothing about how candidates go through a campaign, or the strategies used to win an election. Being introduced to this topic has really made me start exploring job opportunities in the political world.
Hello Brooke J.,
First, I would like to say that I do not envy you graduate students at all. Our professor laid down the ax when she presented this topic to you'll. I had to conduct some soul searching to grasp a thought that I think would began to answer this question, and I'm still not sure if I met my objective. Well, for me, I would say that I acquired a better appreciation and understanding of the importance of a political candidate's image. Now, to reach this conclusion, I had to view segments of my own life that have gone full circle. Here's what happened to me in a nutshell. Some years ago, I was involved in an argument with a work supervisor. In short, he explained to me that I needed to understand the political ramification of things. I replied to him that I did not care a hoot about the political ramifications of things. He ignored my ignorance, and began to teach me a lesson, or two about the political ramification of things. At the beginning of this semester, one of the first questions our professor asked the class was how many of us (Students) considered ourselves political activist (I'm paraphrasing the question). Once again, I denied having any political interest. Well, toward the end of the semester when it was time to register for Summer/Fall courses, I attempted to register for Political Analysis and Constitution Powers. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to register for either of these courses because they are restricted to Political Science majors. Upon acknowledging this requirement for those two courses, I became very disappointed, felt deprived, and thought about feeling offended to say the least. I probably shouldn't admit to this, and if anyone asked me about it; I would become very forgetful and deny any knowledge of the statement, but I think if anyone would have suggested accepting a bribe to get me into those two courses, I would have obliged their offer. Of course, that action would have been improper from all angles. So, once again, I think a candidate's image was a worth while topic to learn about.
Thomas
Post a Comment
First, I would like to say that I do not envy you graduate students at all. Our professor laid down the ax when she presented this topic to you'll. I had to conduct some soul searching to grasp a thought that I think would began to answer this question, and I'm still not sure if I met my objective. Well, for me, I would say that I acquired a better appreciation and understanding of the importance of a political candidate's image. Now, to reach this conclusion, I had to view segments of my own life that have gone full circle. Here's what happened to me in a nutshell. Some years ago, I was involved in an argument with a work supervisor. In short, he explained to me that I needed to understand the political ramification of things. I replied to him that I did not care a hoot about the political ramifications of things. He ignored my ignorance, and began to teach me a lesson, or two about the political ramification of things. At the beginning of this semester, one of the first questions our professor asked the class was how many of us (Students) considered ourselves political activist (I'm paraphrasing the question). Once again, I denied having any political interest. Well, toward the end of the semester when it was time to register for Summer/Fall courses, I attempted to register for Political Analysis and Constitution Powers. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to register for either of these courses because they are restricted to Political Science majors. Upon acknowledging this requirement for those two courses, I became very disappointed, felt deprived, and thought about feeling offended to say the least. I probably shouldn't admit to this, and if anyone asked me about it; I would become very forgetful and deny any knowledge of the statement, but I think if anyone would have suggested accepting a bribe to get me into those two courses, I would have obliged their offer. Of course, that action would have been improper from all angles. So, once again, I think a candidate's image was a worth while topic to learn about.
Thomas
<< Home

