Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

Can't we all just get along?

First and foremost, I must admit that I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to politics. However, one of the things that bothers me about political races is when candidates talk negatively about other candidates. When the state elections were held last semester, I got somewhat tired of seeing commercial after commercial of one candidate talking about how bad the other candidate was. Maybe it is just me, but I would rather here what you can do as opposed to what your opposition cannot do. I understand that politicians have to defend themselves and all of that. However, maybe if they tried the opposite approach and never talked negatively about their opposition, they would get votes that they never thought they could get. I am sure their are candidates out there who try this, but it seems that they are just hard to find.

Comments:
But don't we all love the blood and guts side of everything? Remember if it bleeds, it leads. Out of all the topics discussed in the SC debate all of the major news are headlining with: the gloves came off, acrimonious debate, blah, blah, blah.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080122/D8UAT5IG0.html

Quite frankly I could care less if Obama considers Clinton a brother or not, I'd be alot more interested in what he thinks we ought to do about let's say Russia, or China, or I don't Iran, maybe? I don't really think Obama's need to see Clinton dance to determine whether or not he is a brother is very relevant but it does help take the audiences' attention off of the issues.

To further your question just a little, I really get tired of all the whoa and misery about the economy. I don't think you can be in a recession until you have 2 consecutive quarters of no growth which we haven't had, inflated economy - yeah sure, recession -not yet.
 
I agree with you, Parker. Even candidates tend to inflate the truth about their own capabilities, I do prefer those who tout themselves over those who put down their opponents. To me, that doesn't speak too highly of his/her own character.
 
I am also one that does not kkep up with politics. However, it seems to me that I am the type of person that the negative ads are geared toward. For example, the whole thing about Obama being Muslim and sworn in on the Quaran. I dont know when this came out and when it was said to be not true, but I didnt know that it was false until class the other day when we mentioned it. Seems to me that the reason people use negative messages is because for the uninformed voter they WORK.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?