Friday, January 18, 2008
DeLaughter/Scruggs & Special Election
I have found the coverage of the Scruggs bribery story very interesting. We've talked in class about how canidates need money to get thier message out but what about people like Scruggs that make huge contributions to political campaigns? Do they get special coverage? I've found the coverage of this case to be muddled at best, one report on WTVA focused not on the facts of the case but what the Trial Lawyers Association felt about the case. It just seems like alot of the reporting being done on the case is pretty soft.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080118/NEWS/801180367&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL
Further, Judge DeLaughter ruled that the special election to replace Senator Lott must be held withing 90 days.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801180370
http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPECIAL02/801150381/1001/news
Judge DeLaughter is, I believe, the same one that triggered the FBI investigation into Scruggs to begin with. It just seems to be a convaluted circle that the media is happy to watch go round and round but not really report on.
Anybody have a different take on the media coverage of this case?
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080118/NEWS/801180367&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL
Further, Judge DeLaughter ruled that the special election to replace Senator Lott must be held withing 90 days.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801180370
http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPECIAL02/801150381/1001/news
Judge DeLaughter is, I believe, the same one that triggered the FBI investigation into Scruggs to begin with. It just seems to be a convaluted circle that the media is happy to watch go round and round but not really report on.
Anybody have a different take on the media coverage of this case?