Thursday, January 17, 2008

 

Give a shout out to the crowd, with your cellphone

In this months edition of Campaigns and Elections an article runs on page 62 discussing a new technology available to campaigns to use during rallies. The idea is that during the event, individuals can send out text messages that are projected onto large screens or digital ticker boards at rallies. Michael Dirmeikis whose company, Expedite Media Group Inc., provides this type of service claims that responses can be sent to individuals who send messages during an event, and that "text messages are opened up nearly 100% of the time, a rate much higher than email."

Text messages sent to the public boards of course can be automatically filtered the article says, so that obscene comments, or comments about other candidates can be filtered out.

Using cellular phones to communicate actively in an environment where an individual is surrounded by other like minded people and the candidate can likely strengthen that individuals feelings towards and level of support for the candidate. Cellular phones hold a very strong attachment to individuals compared to many other forms of communications.

Think about it, if you leave your cellphone at home for the day, how many times do you find yourself checking for it only to find, rather sadly, that it is not there? Think you are not attached to your cellphone? Do you have a custom ring tone, or faceplate, or wallpaper, or is your phone exactly like it was when the salesperson handed it to you? Lets face it, like it or not, your cellphone is an extremely personal form of communication. Everywhere you go on campus you see people talking on them, or fiddling with the keyboards to text message, or just holding them in their hands. I might go as far as to say cellphone communication is almost as personal if not more personal than a handwritten note for people these days.

One can suspect that once an individual sends a text message to one of these digital billboards, that the candidate now has their cellphone number and can send that person a message to check out their website for a special message asking for support or donations, or send them a text message to remind them to vote. Likewise, as email addresses, mailing addresses, and other such information are often shared by the candidate with other candidates after the election as part of a voter file, we can suspect that future candidates may receive your contact information as well.

So, how do you feel about this use of cellphones? Do you think it strengthens the candidates connection in any way to the individual, making them more or less likely to support the candidate? Does it better engage the electorate, or does it merely act as a gimmick? Do you think that it will be a success, or eventually will, like spam did for email, frustrate those who have shared their phone numbers in this manner? Do you want a candidate contacting you with a device that you have at your side constantly for most of the day?
(image source: campaignsandelections.com Copyright Political World Communications LLC)

Comments:
I think it will depend on the individual who receives the text message. Younger people might relate and feel more connected to the candidate. On the other hand, my mother is in her sixties and would be infuriated to receive one and would worry that she would get charged for it on her cell phone bill. Personally, I would feel that it was gimmicky or annoying, but...I hate texting and do not consider myself "younger" anymore ; )
 
I agree...I think it has to do with the individual. For example, I text more than I actually speak on the phone, as does my mom--but for someone like my grandmother who is just now actually getting the hang of using a cellular phone--she would be a bit weary of a text msg. from a political candidate and although she has text on her phone would probably not even know how to open the msg in order to read it.
 
If I read the article correctly this technology would be used primarily at organized events where theoretically you would have to really like the candidate to be there so I'm not really sure how projecting thier messages up on a board would generate more feelings of attachment amongst participants at the rally. As far as them sending messages to my cell phone, no thank you. Although, it might be interesting to see if the candidates could get thier stance on policies down to a text message. That would be pretty cool. Think of all the free air time on CNN, Fox, etc.
 
If I received a campaign message on my cellphone, I would view it in similar context to receiving sales or marketing calls on my home phone. I consider my cell phone to be a private number, and I don't want just anyone communicating with me via my cell phone. I am more than happy to text with my friends and co-workers, but vote solicitation is crossing the line.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?