Monday, January 21, 2008
State of the state?
Does anybody have any comments on the 2008 State of the State address by Governor Barbour or the Democratic response?
Comments:
<< Home
I can't wait to see what the Mississippi Educator's Association or whatever they're called have to say about this part of it:
"Education is our top priority, but we must recognize we won’t be able to increase K-12 spending
nearly that much this session, unless you’re willing to gut other critical programs, which I’m not." They have a big lobbying arm, plus the MAEP so we'll see.
"Education is our top priority, but we must recognize we won’t be able to increase K-12 spending
nearly that much this session, unless you’re willing to gut other critical programs, which I’m not." They have a big lobbying arm, plus the MAEP so we'll see.
Well, MAEP is not a political organization, it is a state education program. MAEP has rarely been fully funded unfortunately, though the intention of the legislation is good. Often you can see great disparity though between what people say and if they put their money where their mouth is. I don't know if this year is a typical year that teachers get pay raises or not, however with it being the first year of the four year cycle, it might be low on the priority list. Unfortunately, no longer being in Jackson it's more difficult to get a copy of both the Governor's budget and the Legislative budget. While both don't have any rule of law, it is a great way to judge where both parties see as their goals and priorities for the year. Maybe somebody will propose to improve our accessibility to e-government in Mississippi?
Thanks for clarifying Nick, that wasn't clear in the post. I should have more clearly separated the lobbying from the law. As far as getting a better look at stuff via e-governement and budgets...I don't know I think that would be kinda scary. http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/NEWS/80124004
Looks like we'll find out soon enough.
Post a Comment
Looks like we'll find out soon enough.
<< Home

