Wednesday, February 13, 2008

 

Canidates on Late Night Shows

What do ya'll think about candidates appearing on late night shows like Leno, Letterman, Conan, Stewart, Colbert, etc.? Does it help or hurt the canidate? There not really "interviews" per se so are they more like free advertisements.

Huckabee has been on alot of the late night shows, especially colbert. Conan, Colbert, and John Stewart just did a whole spoof on it. See link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wucxq9VgupI

It's basically 10 minutes where Huckabee gets his name out there alot. Is it the old adage that any coverage is good coverage?

Comments:
I think that appearances on the late night shows is a big help for the candidates. This is a way for a candidate to present a positive image to many viewers that may not have a typical interest in politics.

As we mentioned in class, I really think Bill Clinton did this well when he appeared on the Arseino Hall show. He played the saxophone and got the image of being a down-to-earth guy. I think this really helped him and his image.
 
Another positive about late night appearances is that they likely reach a demographic that may not pay much attention to the 5:00 news. As we also mentioned in class, a lot of people claim to get their political news from late night.
 
I think it is a positive thing for the candidates to appear on late night shows. A lot of people watch them and that is just more exposure and getting their name out there.
 
I agree with Amy...by appearing on the Late Night Shows, the candidates do reach an audience perhaps they otherwise would not. In addition, they are getting their name out there. So as long as they appear comfortable on the shows and not "stuffy" but do not act ridiculous at the same time--it's a win/win situation for them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?