Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Congress busy with Major League Baseball?
Getting away from the election for a moment, I wanted to comment on another issue that is related to Politics. How does everyone feel about Congress spending so much time on the steroids scandal in Major League Baseball?
If you haven't seen the story, here is a link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3243636
Congressman George Mitchell was asked to investigate this situation and implicated Legendary pitcher Roger Clemens (among others). Now Clemens and his former Trainer Brian McNamee have both testified before congress and one of the two is surely lying (Clemens is denying that he ever took performance enhancing drugs).
For the record, I am a huge baseball fan and I have a enormous interest in this situation. However, another major issue here is why if congress involved? I am not to happy that congress has taken this issue on itself, when it seems that they should have better things to do.
How does everyone else feel?
If you haven't seen the story, here is a link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3243636
Congressman George Mitchell was asked to investigate this situation and implicated Legendary pitcher Roger Clemens (among others). Now Clemens and his former Trainer Brian McNamee have both testified before congress and one of the two is surely lying (Clemens is denying that he ever took performance enhancing drugs).
For the record, I am a huge baseball fan and I have a enormous interest in this situation. However, another major issue here is why if congress involved? I am not to happy that congress has taken this issue on itself, when it seems that they should have better things to do.
How does everyone else feel?
Comments:
<< Home
Michael, I completely agree. I am a baseball fan too, and have been following this whole steriod thing from the beginning. I cannot understand why Congress ever got involved. They were not elected to clean up baseball; they were elected to address things liek the economy!!
I tryed to watch most of the hearing yesterday. It was very interesting, to say the least. I do feel that this "steroids issue" should not take so much time off of Congress's hands. I am not saying that they should not be somewhat involved, however I believe that it is Major League Baseball's job to handle this situation. After watching, it looks like Congress will have to spend even more time on this, because we still don't know who is telling the truth.
Michael I agree with you about Congress as a whole shouldnt be getting involved, however I think that the Mitchell Report that Senator George Mitchell put together was big for baseball. I believe you are going to see stiffer penalties and new policies put in place for steroid abuse. Hopefully that will attempt to clean up the game. It is funny to me how the majority of everyone named in the report has come out and apologized for their poor judgement in using performance enhancing drugs, everyone except Clemens. In my opinion the hearing last week between Clemens and McNamee was useless. Congress certainly should have never called that hearing.
Its funny that you mention that because now Congress could be getting involved with the NFL. Senator Arlen Spector just launched his investigation into the New England Patriots Spygate scandel and why Roger Goodell got rid of the tapes of the New York Jets coaches signals.
The other interesting thing is that the Republicans seemed to attack McNamee, and the Democrats seemed to attack Clemens. I am very disappointed that this case is being divided by party lines. I would hope that the are looking for the truth and not taking sides. That really makes me angry.
I believe that congress should be focusing on the "real" problems in America, and not concerned with baseball, also. I doubt that there will ever be anyone charged in this investigation, as it has been a "he said/he said" argument so far. They (congressmen) seem to only be concerned with the amount of attention that they recieve via the media, and not with the actual facts. Besides, Clemens' lawyers have gotten involved during the preceedings and apparently, that is illegal in this type of investigation. I have read on some websites that the MLB cannot get involved in this type of situation, only Congress. I don't know how true that is, though.
Post a Comment
<< Home
