Thursday, February 21, 2008
Michelle Obama's American Pride
Michelle Obama gave a speech yesterday. Twice. In this speech she said that, "for the first time in my adult life, I am proud to be an American..." Some, in the media have commented that in order to get the gist of what she was saying, you had to hear the whole speech. BULL! You cannot add or subtract words from around a comment like that and change the context or meaning of it. It is a "plain-and-simple" comment, and she should not have made it. What's more, she didn't try to defend what she said, herself. Instead, some of Barack Obama's campaign staff either sent out a memo, or gave phone interviews to try and downplay it.
I realize that this will most likely have no effect on his campaign, but it was strange from the beginning to the end. What do you think?
I realize that this will most likely have no effect on his campaign, but it was strange from the beginning to the end. What do you think?
Comments:
<< Home
I think it was a risky comment for her to make, but someone on the news last night was commenting that her sentiments are the same as half of the Democratic party. He mentioned how Republicans are always happy with the government and about half the Democrats have a bad view of the government.
I understand that her comments may reflect some people's sentiments, but it doesn't sit too well with me. I don't like any American discrediting our country in any way. It is OK to disagree with decisions that the current administration has made, but saying that you are not proud to be an American is not an appropriate comment for a potential first lady to make in my opinion.
Maybe I have just been asleep for a while, but until now hasn't Michelle Obama been pretty quiet in this campaign. I find it interesting for someone who has been seen and heard little thus far to finally speak out and cause such a stir.
I felt her comments were way out of line. Whether or not she meant them in the way they came across to me, I don't know--but as Michael said I do not like anyone speaking negatively in regard to the United States!
Post a Comment
<< Home
