Wednesday, February 06, 2008

 

Timing of Speeches

Did anyone notice how the canidates spaced out thier speeches after the states started being called? Most of the canidates with the exception of Hillary all timed thier "thank you for voting for me" speech between about 9:10 and 9:50 PM. One newscaster said that it was to make sure people on the east coast would see it before they went to bed. My thought was that maybe they were trying to get in on the 10 o'clock news in some time zones. I just think it's interesting that they do the speeches without really knowing what the final outcome will be. Get your message out there and hope it sticks to whatever the results end up being.

Which brings me to my second pet peeve which is calling states for canidates with 0% of the ballots counted. Did we not learn anything from 2000 and 2004? In Georgia they called it for Obama with a wopping 0% of the ballots turned in but they did noy call another state for Clinton until 60% of ballots were in. (And yes, I know all about exit polling, blah, blah, blah) I thought after the last time they goofed up the exit polling so bad they (the media) were going to quit doing that. Also, I thought they (the media) were not going to call states until all of the states had closed (like not calling Georgia until California polls had closed) so as not to unduly influence anything. I thought it was all part of thier new media ethics....

Am I just making this up or does anybody else remember this? I really thought all of the major news outlets had agreed to this after the last election but it could just be wishful thinking on my part...

As a side note when I woke up at 2:30 AM this morning to the tornado sirens I flipped over to the news stations and they were still doing live reports, wow. Talk about 24/7 news coverage.

Comments:
I agree about the timing of the speeches. I'm sure there was some extensive planning into their timing.

I too noticed that there was really late (or shall I say early morning) coverage yesterday. I fully expected extended coverage, but the media went above and beyond.
 
I think that most journalists agree that the results of the polling should not be released until all polls closed because of influence to late voters. I think that in the heat of the moment they get excited and can't contain what they know. I think the exit polling should have stopped completely because it apparently has caused problems in the past.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?