Saturday, February 16, 2008
Wanna bring a gun to class?
The Alabama legislature is considering a bill that would allow individuals on college campuses to carry guns. This comes after the shooting at Northern Illinois University earlier this week. I was curious how students would feel about the prospect of either their professors coming to class armed or how you might feel to know that your classmates might be carrying guns. Here's a link to the story: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080216/NEWS/576188428/1007
Comments:
<< Home
I'm not sure how I feel about this...I do not think I would personally ever bring a gun to class with me because I have no training with guns and would be more of a hazard with than safe without. But perhaps the professors, with proper training, having one in case of instances like Northern Illinois...Maybe.
I think this kind of goes both ways. People who are irresponsible but have gun licenses would be able to bring guns on campuses. However in situations like Northern Illinois or VA Tech, if professors or even certain students were carrying guns they may have been to disarm the gunman before the situation got too far. This is still a very touchy subject. I'm not sure I would be too comfortable with someone sitting in a McComas classroom with me that was armed.
I do not necessarily think guns are bad, but I also do not think that some areas of society should be exposed to gun availability. What I mean is that the educational realm is not a place for guns. Some of these people are highly stressed, and while they might need protection from someone else, people might need protection from them.
Sounds pretty scary to me. I wont even hunt up here because of all the kids that come up here and find out that country is cool all of a sudden. You better believe if it was an option I would carry one though.
I don't think it's a good idea to allow students to carry firearms. However, I think it might be a good idea to have a gun available to professors incase of the type of incidents at Virginia and Illinois. I believe the more these shootings occur, more ideas are planted into the minds of disturbed individuals and that these shootings are going to continue. The goverment and school administrators need to find some way to protect students.
I can somewhat see where the legislature is coming from, but I certainly dont think it is a good idea to let students and faculty bring guns to school. In my opinion you are just asking for more problems. There are a lot of people in the world whom you cant trust and you certainly couldnt trust them with a gun.
I think this one could go either way. I have a friend who was almost mugged on campus. She was lucky enough that a truck pulled up and her attacker ran off, but it definitely throws into light that we are not as safe here as we like to believe. I know that I can shoot a gun, but I also know I probably wouldn't take one to class. I do, however, think that knowing someone in the class had a gun on them would make me feel a bit safer. Especially in the light of the recent college shootings.
I don't think this is a good idea at all. I understand the problem, but I think this will make it worse. I actually think this would increase the violence on any campus.
Well, if there was an incident on campus (like a V-Tech) I'd much rather be able to defend myself and take out the shooter instead of waiting 15-20 min for the police to show up. Alot can happen in the time it takes a panic filled group of people to call the police, the police to get there and secure the building, find the shooter and take them out. In our building if there is an emergency the doors automatically lock and you are not allowed out. That's great if the shooter is on the outside and you are on the inside but not so hot if you're the sitting duck on the inside. As a side note University of Utah allows students and professors to carry concealed weapons on campus, so you could literally have a gun in your laptop case or backpack or even on you. I'm not sure I would carry a loaded weapon to campus but a taser gun could be interesting...that's probably not legal either.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/20/cnnu.guns/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
Post a Comment
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/20/cnnu.guns/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
<< Home
