Monday, April 07, 2008
Protests and International Politics
Recent events in Tibet have caused international uproar and have allowed the upcoming Olympics in China to become a lighting rod for criticism against the Chinese government. Several European leaders have decided to boycott the opening ceremonies in response to political crackdowns in Tibet. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the Olympics, an institution of friendly global competition should be a referendum for the host countries government and are protesters going too far in trying to literally snuff out the Olympic flame as it crosses the globe? Personally, I believe there are much more appropriate and efficient means in attracting attention to the cause than beating up a torch bearer. For those that are not aware of what I am referencing take a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7334545.stm & http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/07/bridge.protest/index.html Yes the Chinese government behaves like a bully who can not take criticism at times and I will be the first to criticize the means by which the Communist party retains power but come on, the Olympics. Why have people waited until now to start mass protests over Tibet, the Chinese occupation of Tibet has been so since the 1950s. Its quite simple, the vast majority of protesters in this care are professional protesters that will do anything to get noticed. These are the same people that travel 5,000 miles using international airlines and institutions to protest globalization. Are global protests an effective means of changing a government's policies or should people find more effective means of petitioning change?
Comments:
<< Home
In my opinion, the Olympics is not the appropriate venue for protest. This is a meaningful event meant to bring countries together. Not to mention the years that athletes spend training and preparing. They could even protest outside the stadium, but interfering with the torch, ceremonies, or games is disrespectful to all the countries involved.
I agree with both of you. It is not only an inappropriate means of protest, but also incredibly ineffective. I seriously doubt the Chinese govt even batted an eye when the torch was extinguished in Europe, much less stopped to consider the reason behind it.
I don't understand it either. I mean why go after the torch bearer. It would be an honor to carry the torch, however, I am glad I am not on the list to carry the torch this year (like I ever would be). If I were, I would be extremely paranoid that someone would jump out of the crowd and tackle me. This definitely does not look good for the upcoming Olympics.
I agree, the Olympics should be a celebration of countries coming together for the games. People being attacked for carrying the torch and the constant protests are a disgrace. I think that it is very disrespectful as well.
Post a Comment
<< Home
