Monday, January 19, 2009

 

With the change of administrations...will abstinence funding get cut?

http://www.azstarnet.com/news/276497

This article talks about how abstinence education funding may be cut with the exit of the Bush administration. Bush was a strong supporter of abstinence only sex-education. Right now the total funding amounts to 176 million dollars a year.
Right now many people are petitioning for Obama to keep some of the funding and others are petitioning that funding be given for both contraceptive sex-education and abstinence sex-education.

Abstinence only sex-education has been under a lot of scrutiny. Here is an article with statistics saying it doesn’t work:
http://www.openeducation.net/2009/01/05/abstinence-only-sex-education-statistics-final-nail-in-the-coffin/

I, personally, think that a program stressing abstinence (as it is the only proven way to avoid pregnancy AND STDs AND the emotional and psychological consequences that can come from having intimate physical relationships before marriage), but also educating students on STDs and contraceptives should be activated.
Can we really afford to totally forgo stressing abstinence? We certainly cannot afford to ONLY stress abstinence - I don’t believe anyone is really naive enough to think that is a sufficient form of education. However, I think it would be irresponsible and disappointing to totally stop sending the message that sex before marriage is dangerous. Even with protection, you are still vulnerable to sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Abstinence is the only 100% sure way to avoid either.
Mississippi was number one in teen pregnancies this year. Teenage pregnancy is not just a problem that affects one generation - it affects two (at least). The mother is left with more challenges and the child, most times, doesn’t have the same opportunities and advantages as a child born to a mature, educated and financially stable adult. Shows like “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” glamorize teen pregnancy and make teenagers out to be a lot more logical then they are (hormones).
Our teenagers should be allowed to be just that - teenagers. To tell them sex won’t affect them if they are safe is irresponsible and selfish. To tell them “just don’t do it” and leave them without the facts and knowledge concerning protection is irresponsible and selfish.
I say stress abstinence, but still heavily educate when it comes to sexual-protection. It will be interesting to see what is done with the funding and what Obama and congress will find important when it comes to education.

Here is an article that I found very interesting. This is a girl who is a teenage mother. She is one of the top students in her class, but she still struggles immensely. I think this article is a testament to the fact that we need funding from congress to promote both forms of sexual-education.
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090118/ARTICLES/901180339?Title=Educators_worry_about_teen_sexual_activity__pregnancy

Comments:
I completely agree with Sarah Dale. Abstinence is vital for the children of America. We don't have to be ashamed of our sexuality but we should at least be smart about it.
 
there was an episode of ABC's tv show "boston legal" that was focused on this. teaching abstinence is a good plan but it needs to be taught with contraceptives and other educational material. only teaching kids about abstinence without showing other alternatives is like telling a child not to use bad words but not warning him about what happens when he does.
 
I agree with Sarah as well. I am a strong proponent for the teaching of abstinence in schools, but I also agree that it is beneficial for students to also learn why it is abstinence important and the consequences that can come with bad choices. I liked the example given by jstringer about using bad words and how you need to educate the child to not use them but also make sure they know what happens if they do use them.
 
I agree also. I think abstinence is still an important message that should continue to be taught. It is important also to promote various consequences that cme with foregoing abstinence.
However, our society and culture does not promote abstinence and therefore many kids will and do become sexually active prior to marraige. Due to this, risks and safety measures should be taught to help ensure "safe sex."
 
I feel that abstinence is an personnal issue and funding safe sex is more reasonable in this day and time. I honestly feel abstinence funding is a waste of money and that money should be spent on something more reasonable, such as making birth control avaiable to all young women and funding programs that promote safe sex and educate teenagers on the consequences of their actions but more importantly how to protect themselves and what to do when mistakes happen.
 
Abstinence can be an important message, but as said before it just can't be the only message. It's already been shown that abstinence only programs simply do not work, so why continue to push and fund only that?

Human biology is what it is, and teens are going to experiment. When I was a teen back in the 80s, we all talked about it and thought about it and quite a lot of people at my school were having it. However, I can only recall one pregnancy at my school while I was there (and aware of such things).

We actually did have a sex education class at my school that started when I was in the 9th grade- good timing for us- and it seems like it was a success. It did not stress abstinence as far as I remember, but was reasonably balanced. And this was at a private academy, during Reagan's years.

At some point, we as a nation must face reality and decide that if teens are going to have sex, they should at least already have been given the education and tools to do so in a way that will reduce their chances of getting pregnant.
 
I believe too much emphases is focused on Abstinence and that there needs to be more of a focus on safe sex. The second link talking about the teenage mother, Christina, stated that 48 percent of high schoolers are sexually active. That is a sign that maybe that some of this money should be spent on teaching safe sex and how to protect themselves so that they teen pregnancy rate can drop.
 
I feel that teaching abstinence and safe sex is very important. Too many children are have children and it seems like babies are produced younger and younger. But in order to promote abstinence and safe sex for young adults. I feel there should also be more programs or after school activities available for them. This would help out a lot because if you keep them occupied like doing something positive for the community. They wouldn't stray away so much and turn to the things that are not so good for them.
 
I agree that teaching children about abstinence and safe sex is a must! Both are important, however in today's society I think that more should be taught about safe sex. Teaching about abstinence is great, but it is unreasonable to think that everyone is practicing abstinence. As the statistics show there are large numbers of high school students that are having sex. If they are having sex, they should be careful. They should be taught about the consequences of sex (unplanned pregnancy, STIs). I hope that the funding is not cut for either of the programs.
 
I think it would be unfortunate if abstinence education funding is cut with the exit of the Bush administration. But, I do agree with those petitioning that funding be given for both contraceptive sex-education and abstinence sex-education, because not all young people are going to follow abstinence alone. I think contraceptive sex-education should be implemented, because the harsh reality is many young people hardly pay mind to the thought of abstinence. I feel this is just being smart and giving young people a choice instead of just telling them abstinence is their only option.
 
Abstinence education has been proven ineffective and even dangerous, as teens who are taught abstinence only education are just as likely to have sex but less likely to use condoms. So why are we spending money on something that both doesn't work and has negative consequences? Because it makes us feel better. That's the only reason. And that's not a good reason. Sex education is for public health. The US has one of the highest if not the highest teen pregnancy rates of any of the industrialized nations. Don't you think that's a problem? The south has the highest teen pregnancy rate where abstinence education is most supported. I don't think this is a coincidence. In Mississippi, schools aren't even required to have a sex education program at all and we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country. I also find it odd that many of the same people who are against comprehensive sex education are also don't want abortion to be legal and are against welfare.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?