Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Abstinence "not realistic", according to Bristol Palin
"Not realistic at all," is how Sarah Palin's daughter described her mother's abstinence-only policies, in an interview with Fox News Monday night.
There is nothing surprising in what Palin says, because I believe that pushing abstinence-only programs is irresponsible and a recipe for disaster.
What is surprising, is that she was willing to say so on Fox News-- and they showed it.
Will Americans turn a corner and acknowledge what we already know deep down, that telling kids to simply not have sex won't work? The responsible way to deal with teen sex and pregnancy is to provide them with the proper education, as well as the condoms that they need. Both should be provided in schools, where they can do the most good.
There is nothing surprising in what Palin says, because I believe that pushing abstinence-only programs is irresponsible and a recipe for disaster.
What is surprising, is that she was willing to say so on Fox News-- and they showed it.
Will Americans turn a corner and acknowledge what we already know deep down, that telling kids to simply not have sex won't work? The responsible way to deal with teen sex and pregnancy is to provide them with the proper education, as well as the condoms that they need. Both should be provided in schools, where they can do the most good.
Comments:
<< Home
HMM... Dan i usually agree with most of what you say; however, you are speaking in absolutes just like you opponents here. You saying "just accept that kids will have sex and give them the condoms, trust the schools to give them the eucation on this" is just as bad as preaching "Abstinence-only".
Bristol Palin, well what is she going to say? She is pregnant -which happened because she had an 'it wont happen to me' mentality! Which most teens have..
A pregnant teen blaming her pregnancy on what she was taught is nothing new. If they had used a different method and she had gotten pregnant she may have said "well giving me the condoms only made me feel like it wasn’t a big deal".
I’m not saying that I advocate "abstinence only" programs because I do agree that teens MUST BE EDUCATED!!!!! and that teens do not respond to absolutes!
The truth of the matter is that Teens are capable of making educated decisions, and they are also capable of screwing up! BUT.. if you never tell a teen that they should wait.. then why would they ever wait??
The problem with depending on the schools to teach this.. is that it takes the weight off the parents, they trust the schools to educate their kids.. but what makes you think teens are really going to care what the teacher says? -- sadly Sex Ed. in HS is a joke course for most kids!
... Parents need to educate their kids, they need to figure out the best way t deal with it situation to situation!!!!!! Every kid is different and responds to different methods.. Then they need to reinforce what they talked about with their kids. Parents cant control their kids, but they do have a great deal more influence on the development of the character of their children than a soft-ball coach teaching sex-ed to a room full of 45 HS girls!!
Bristol Palin, well what is she going to say? She is pregnant -which happened because she had an 'it wont happen to me' mentality! Which most teens have..
A pregnant teen blaming her pregnancy on what she was taught is nothing new. If they had used a different method and she had gotten pregnant she may have said "well giving me the condoms only made me feel like it wasn’t a big deal".
I’m not saying that I advocate "abstinence only" programs because I do agree that teens MUST BE EDUCATED!!!!! and that teens do not respond to absolutes!
The truth of the matter is that Teens are capable of making educated decisions, and they are also capable of screwing up! BUT.. if you never tell a teen that they should wait.. then why would they ever wait??
The problem with depending on the schools to teach this.. is that it takes the weight off the parents, they trust the schools to educate their kids.. but what makes you think teens are really going to care what the teacher says? -- sadly Sex Ed. in HS is a joke course for most kids!
... Parents need to educate their kids, they need to figure out the best way t deal with it situation to situation!!!!!! Every kid is different and responds to different methods.. Then they need to reinforce what they talked about with their kids. Parents cant control their kids, but they do have a great deal more influence on the development of the character of their children than a soft-ball coach teaching sex-ed to a room full of 45 HS girls!!
Well sure, but I'm also being realistic. I've been a teen already- I know how that was and I don't see much evidence that the experience was much different then, than it was before or since.
I also have a 13 year old son in middle school right now, who will be moving into the high school in the fall. I have a friend who is a teacher at that same middle school, and from what I've heard from her, and my own son, I know that the kids there are completely sexed up, and barreling head-first into the years where they will be the most hormonally-inclined in their lives to have sex.
Yes, sex ed classes usually involve a lot of giggling. That's just natural. When we had it, it was the funniest thing ever, made all the more ridiculous in that our overbearing, always angry football (and biology teacher) coach gave it. But you know what, it worked. At my school while I was there, only one girl got pregnant and I don't know of any abortions (not to say that there were none). Teens remember those lessons. Hell, I might even argue that the right amount of giggle-worthy material and somber reality helps those lessons stand out.
Making sure that everybody has the information and condoms available is going to potentially help everybody. Teaching abstinence will only reach those who are susceptible to that kind of teaching, and leaves the rest woefully unprepared. And this is ignoring the research that says that A-O programs and things like pledges don't actually work anyway.
Taking out the embarrassing trip to the drug store or Wal Mart to buy condoms and simply making them available, makes sure that they're more likely to be used by guys, and/or insisted on by girls. If you want to reduce teen pregnancy, that's the way to do it. Yes, that's just my opinion, but there is empirical evidence in its favor too.
I also have a 13 year old son in middle school right now, who will be moving into the high school in the fall. I have a friend who is a teacher at that same middle school, and from what I've heard from her, and my own son, I know that the kids there are completely sexed up, and barreling head-first into the years where they will be the most hormonally-inclined in their lives to have sex.
Yes, sex ed classes usually involve a lot of giggling. That's just natural. When we had it, it was the funniest thing ever, made all the more ridiculous in that our overbearing, always angry football (and biology teacher) coach gave it. But you know what, it worked. At my school while I was there, only one girl got pregnant and I don't know of any abortions (not to say that there were none). Teens remember those lessons. Hell, I might even argue that the right amount of giggle-worthy material and somber reality helps those lessons stand out.
Making sure that everybody has the information and condoms available is going to potentially help everybody. Teaching abstinence will only reach those who are susceptible to that kind of teaching, and leaves the rest woefully unprepared. And this is ignoring the research that says that A-O programs and things like pledges don't actually work anyway.
Taking out the embarrassing trip to the drug store or Wal Mart to buy condoms and simply making them available, makes sure that they're more likely to be used by guys, and/or insisted on by girls. If you want to reduce teen pregnancy, that's the way to do it. Yes, that's just my opinion, but there is empirical evidence in its favor too.
I can see where Bristol Palin is coming from when she says that abstinence-only programs are "not realistic." I'm sure a lot of people would agree that if abstinence only programs persuaded all teens not to have sex until marriage then things would be a lot easier. But, the reality of it is that so many young people let the abstinence-only policy go in one ear and out of the other. So, of course I think it is important for young people to be educated about sex along with abstinence teaching. I think it is very interesting that Bristol said her mother's abstinence only policies were "not realistic at all." I wonder how Sarah feels about that!
I also agree that abstinence only programs are unrealistic, although personally I do believe in abstinence until marriage. Unfortunately, our society is so sex-crazed that it is almost impossible to not succumb to pressures to have sex as a teen. As a result, I think teens should be educated so that unwanted pregnancies and STDs can try to be avoided.
I think telling kids about abstinence and educating them on protected sex both set a good example for them. What would it hurt telling a child to wait and have sex? Same as with educating them about using protection. You can educate a child about having protected sex but that don't mean that they will use it every time(I do say birth control should be strongly enforced). In reality you can stress about it all day but a child is going to do what they want. Even if you are the best parent. In today's society kids are all about trying to prove a point to their peers.
I recently sat down with women from around the state and talked to them about this topic. All three of their groups are abstinence programs. One is funded by churches and money from "save a life" car tags, the other is funded independently and the last is funded through state grants and is not a christian organization.
I found it interesting that even the secular group was pushing abstinence. The reason is this: if you push abstinence AND sexual education you are sending a mixed message. It's like telling someone "drinking and driving is WRONG and has CONSEQUENCES" Drinking and driving can take lives... don't do it!!!!...but if you do...wear a seatbelt.
That's the example one women gave me. I personally think it's important for teens to be educated about safe sex. However, I think it should be split up to a 7:1 ratio..
It doesn't take that long to explain about contraceptives and so on. What it all comes down to is good decision making.
Teaching our children to make good decisions that are satisfying in the long term - not instant gratification.
Bristol seems to be making excuses, which is typical of our society today.
Post a Comment
I found it interesting that even the secular group was pushing abstinence. The reason is this: if you push abstinence AND sexual education you are sending a mixed message. It's like telling someone "drinking and driving is WRONG and has CONSEQUENCES" Drinking and driving can take lives... don't do it!!!!...but if you do...wear a seatbelt.
That's the example one women gave me. I personally think it's important for teens to be educated about safe sex. However, I think it should be split up to a 7:1 ratio..
It doesn't take that long to explain about contraceptives and so on. What it all comes down to is good decision making.
Teaching our children to make good decisions that are satisfying in the long term - not instant gratification.
Bristol seems to be making excuses, which is typical of our society today.
<< Home

