Saturday, February 14, 2009

 

America is keepng track of Obama broken promises

Many media outlets are creating scorecards to keep track. The scorecards range from st. petersburg times obamameter to the national journals the promise audit. Obama himself even admitted to having to back down off of campaign promises when the reality of his plans set in. I wonder if the people are making such a big deal of the broken promises because they saw obama as such a honest and truly different president. I believe alot of the things obama wants to change will just not happen fast enough to satisfy the American public. Barrack obama stated"I want to be realistic here -- not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace that we had hoped."Americans want the things that were promised to them such as to end the War. I believe that most people are like me and for some reason when we are made promises we would rather not have that trust broken. Here is the link to the article.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090127/pl_ynews/ynews_pl228;_ylt=ApX5BAUp.FjiyMC.6z8twesDq594

Comments:
I think that many Americans have higher standards for Obama than they have had for other presidents. I don't know if it has to do with the hard economic times and the war, or if Americans just truly like Obama and want to believe he can change everything. I do think that change will come slowly and that it might upset some people. People need to realize that even Obama can not change everything overnight. Polls will probably begin to show Obama's approval rate fall a little just because people are impatient and Obama can't do everything he promised right now. It will be interesting to see what future polls show.
 
I think Americans are also generally aware that situations change, and campaign promises often have to change with them, especially with the realities of opposition in government due to party politics. For example, currently the GOP in the House are being extremely partisan, and the Senate are being nearly so with 3 exceptions.

What Obama needs to do is to make sure the public is aware of that as one of the major reasons why the stimulus bill had problems being passed, as well as why some provisions ended up being struck out during compromise.

Those things shouldn't be held against him, and I don't know any reason why a sufficiently informed public would do so.
 
I agree with Lauren. Americans are holding Obama to higher standards than presidents in the past. I think it has a lot to with his "Yes we can!" and "Change" slogans during his campaign. His image and name will probably always be associated with "yes we can change." That's what Americans are waiting for-big change. We're just not patient enough.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?