Thursday, February 19, 2009

 

North Dakota Abortion Ban

North Dakota's House of Representatives has passed a ban on abortion outright claiming that a fertilized egg has all the same rights as a breathing human being. I, personally, believe it is ultimately up to the woman to decide since it is her body. I also think it should be decided by a panel of actual doctors instead of legislators. But aside from personal politics, now that a fertilized egg is considered a living thing, should it be given a social security number and, like a birth certificate, a certificate of fertilization? 

Labels: ,


Comments:
Government should stay out of personal matters. This is a personal matter, and i feel a responsible woman/mother would make the appropriate decision.

Do you want to see an unhealthy child be born to an alcoholic mother with no job or "claimed father" in a poor rural community with no chance at progression in life?

Or how about the teenager that gets pregnant. And that pregancy ruins both her and her partners life. They decide against college and end up working low end jobs. After a stint of marriage, they file for divorce and the 6 year old kid is left curious about the where-abouts of his father?
 
I don't agree with Robert. If you consider this matter (that deals with human life) a "personal matter" then do you also consider a murder case a "personal matter?" Or a domestic violence case a personal matter?

It's never a personal matter when human lives are involved. There are tons of people in the United States who would love to have a child and are looking to adopt, especially from within the states in many cases.

I don't think one life should be terminated because another human life made a poor decision.

I think that instead of saying "okay, lets just terminate the pregnancies that are unwanted" we should focus more on PREVENTING unwanted pregnancies before the egg is even fertilized. It's important that our country values human life. Abortion is a total disregard for human life, in my opinion.
 
Abortion, a very hot topic. I personally get very annoyed when people attemot to speak in absolutes, but this is a blog so all I can do is comment on it. ROBERT, IT IS A BAD IDEA TO SPEAK AND/OR MAKE ARGUMENTS IN ABSOLUTES!.. it makes it too easy to discredit your argument.
1)My parents had my sister when my mother was 18 and my father 21. They have been happily married for 25 years. My mother finished her senior year as a pregnant unwed girl and shortly after married my father, moved to Starkville and started college. They both went to school and participated in co-op to make money to live on. They both finished in the top half of their class. My father (with a master degree in EE) is a GS 15 working as an electrical engineer for the Department of defense and my mother is a GS 12, also working for the department of defense.
While I will admit that sometimes children are born into bad circumstances, this is not always the case. My parents got very little help from their parents while they went through school and raised a child at the same time.. I know many other people who have made the best of this situation just like my parents did.
What I want to know is.. who has the right to end a life? I know that being pregnant is not what I want in my life right now, but if I put myself in a situation where it was possible I would except what had been handed to me and make the best of it.
…. And what about the teenager who gets pregnant and her parents force her to get an abortion ( WHICH IS OFTEN THE CASE WITH TEEN PREGNANCIES)?? She will most likely never get over being forced into that decision.. or even if she may have felt that was her only option!
.. also the law you are discussing has clauses which allow for exceptions considering the mothers life is in danger and for certain conditions that the baby may be born with.
 
Total disregard to human life is getting pregnant in the first place without the means to support it. My example is the octuplet mom.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?