Thursday, February 19, 2009

 

Why 10 Pens?

I watched the signing of the stimulus package that Obama and the rest of the Democrats pushed through. Even though it felt like I was watching Obama sign away the economy of the United States by spending incredibly more money that we never had to begin with, I could not help but wonder; why did he need to sign it with 10 different pens? After a quick Google search I found out that the pens are to be given away as souvenirs to politicians or other people in support of the bill. Why would anybody want a souvenir from a bill that will increase our national debt and inflate our currency even more than it already is? The Democrats look so happy about it too. Take Nancy Pelosi for example. There is no reason for her to be smiling in every picture, at all. Hard copies of the stimulus bill were not administered until 12:30 am the night before the bill was to be signed by the House of Representatives. How many representatives do you think read the 1,000 plus pages in one day?

There is no real central theme to this blog other than the utter disgust I have right now of the irresponsibility from our elected officials. I never wished ill will to the Democrats, nor do I wish for them to fail, but they are going about this very recklessly. They have been saying that this stimulus package needs to be passed as soon as possible. That just shows that haven't spent enough time thinking about the repercussions. They can stimulate my package for all I care.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I think the national deficit/debt is one of the greatest problems facing our country. However, I find it a tad disingenuous that the people most freaked out about this problem, i.e. the Republicans, oversaw the greatest increases in our national debt in our country's history. At a time when they controlled both the Congress and the Executive for 6 years of the Bush presidency. But now that the power has switched, all of a sudden it's a big deal? Uh, ok.

Also, last fall I recall a package of similar size being passed that was pushed through with even greater urgency. However, this time it was promoted by the Bush administration and it only went to financial institutions and contained little to no oversight. Not to mention to multiple bailouts that occurred for several individual institutions all last year.

While this bill has problems, I'm sure. At least it's something. And at least this money is going directly to projects that have merit to them, like unemployment benefits, transportation infrastructure, education, etc. I mean, do we really want the government to sit back and twiddle their thumbs and pretend like nothing is happening while our economy collapses? I don't.

Also, most bills don't get read by congressmen. Just take a look at the Patriot Act, for example. Pretty much no one had any idea about what they were signing on to when they voted for that gem.
 
I thought it was a big deal during the Bush years too. I just don't think that spending money we don't have, the original reason the economy is in crisis, is going to get us out of it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?