Tuesday, April 14, 2009

 

Tax Day Tea Party

So tomorrow is the big day when all the tea parties are going to meet. Here is the information from the Tax Day Tea Party About page.

_____________________________________________________________

The Tax Day Tea Party is a national collaborative grassroots effort organized by Smart Girl Politics, Top Conservatives on Twitter, the DontGo Movement and many other online groups/coalitions.

The Tea Party protests, in their current form, began in early 2009 when Rick Santelli, the On Air Editor for CNBC, set out on a rant to expose the bankrupt liberal agenda of the White House Administration and Congress. Specifically, the flawed “Stimulus Bill” and pork filled budget.

During Rick’s rant (see video below), he called for a “Chicago tea Party” where advocates of the free-market system could join in a protest against out of control government spending.

A few days later, grassroots activists and average Joe Americans began organizing what would soon become the Nationwide Chicago Tea Party effort.

On February 27th, an estimated 30,000 Americans took to the street in 40+ cities accross the country in the first nationwide “Tea Party” protest.

Organizers of the February 27th events pledged to continue on with an even bigger and better protest to follow the first. With April 15th being “Tax Day”, it was decided to schedule the second round of Tea Party protests to ride alongside the tax deadline.

And with that, the “Tax Day Tea Party”, the second round of the Nationwide Tea Party protests, moved into reality.

_______________________________________________________________


What do y'all think about this idea? Does it actually make a difference or does it just make the people that are going to the tea party feel good?

Here is the website in case you want more information.

http://taxdayteaparty.com/


Comments:
I think that even though this might not be the best time for something like this "revolution" it is a good thing. People are doing something about this issue in stead of just complaining which is major because getting people to care about issues is very hard just ask the presidential candidates in the last campaign.
 
I watched a video of some Tea Party participants meeting in a bar, and I just thought the whole thing was kind of sad.

I know in some circles (for example, MSNBC and The Huffington Post, which I read occasionally) it's being made into a joke with lots of commentary about the "teabaggers," but from what I've seen of it, the misinformation some of these people have is really disturbing.

From what I've seen of it, it's empowering a lot of fringe personalities and letting them rant against things like socialism coming to this country (which has of course been here in some form for a long time) and anti-Obama rhetoric. The people trying to whip these crowds up into a frenzy really should be careful.

I don't think it's as "grassroots" as it's being made out to be, either.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdOwgD5OsYis the video to which I referred.
 
I think it's a good thing that people are expressing their opinions. If people are not happy with the decisions that lawmakers are making, they need to let them know. If having a big tea party like the colonists did helps get their attention, then great! Plus, tea parties are just fun!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?