Monday, August 31, 2009
Is it the Governments job to always bail us out of our own mistakes?
I heard an interesting radio topic on the Lars Larson show this afternoon, so I thought that I would write about it and get some opinions from different people. Has the mindset of Americans today been transformed to think that it is the governments job to bail us out of any and every mistake that we make in today's world? It seems that a lot of people are looking for a handout. There was a great example made on the show, the generation before us didn't grow up hearing news on televisions and tracking storms on the internet. They used their decision making capabilities and made choices that would be the most beneficial in the situation that they were in. For example, during Katrina, there were thousands and thousands of people that were advised time and time again to leave their homes and migrate elsewhere because a horrific storm was heading their way. These thousands of people who neglected to take the advice that was given to them stayed until it was too late, and then blamed the government when they couldn't get in to rescue them. The question that I am just trying to ask is has our generation gotten used to having everything handed to them that we can't go out, work hard, and work on fixing our own problems?
Comments:
<< Home
I completely agree with you, Patrick. Our state and federal leaders got BLAMED for Katrina by some of these people. There is no doubt more and more people are looking for handouts. I think the generational part of it is true, but it's cultural as well. There are certain cultures that are getting more and more used to receiving handouts. There are also lawyers that are putting out commercial after commercial, trying to help us get lazier.
I agree that it's more cultural than gerational. Atleast in some instances it is. But I do think that it's a shame that people feel they have the right to ask the government to bail them out of situations that are not controlled by the government. It's very sad and quite frankly it's pathetic!
I agree with you 100% on everything you mentioned. Our generation is in major trouble. Many of us including ourselves depend on too much from other people than controlling things ourselves. When things go wrong we are the first to blame someone elsefor our own stupidity. The government does have a job, but not a full time babysitting job.
I in no way believe that it is the government's job to bail out its citizens. However, I do partially blaim the government for those people who do believe that the government is supposed to do just that. By continuing to bail out citizens, the government is setting precedent. People are now expecting the government to take care of their problems and at this rate, the government refusing to do that could be unheard of in the not too distant future.
I in no way believe that it is the government's job to bail out its citizens. However, I do partially blaim the government for those people who do believe that the government is supposed to do just that. By continuing to bail out citizens, the government is setting precedent. People are now expecting the government to take care of their problems and at this rate, the government refusing to do that could be unheard of in the not too distant future.
Concerning government handouts it is always annoying to have a person complain about the help that he/she isn't recieving when that person does nothing to help themself. Many people tend to view comfort as something to be expected rather than earned. There will always be lazy people around but, I think our generation as a whole is still full of hard working people that take initiative, have drive, and still posess much of the same values of the generations before us.
I completely agree with you, Patrick. It seems like it is a common perspective to have the government bail us out when we haven't done anything to deserve it. That is my biggest problem with this attitude, is that people won't work, or even try to get out of the situation they are in. Just expectig the government to get you out of a hard situation is a terrible attitude to have. Now if someone is trying to get themselves out of a hard situation and they can't copletely do it by themselves, then the government can step in. But merely relying on the government to do EVERVYTHING for you is inexcusable...
Post a Comment
<< Home
