Monday, September 28, 2009
President Obama lobbies for the Olympics
As we well know President Obama is a fan of sports and competition, several times during his campaign as well as his Presidency he has commented on issues that involve sports. Well the President is at it again, Chicago is bidding to host the 2016 Olympic games and President Obama has decided to throw his support to the state that has supported him. He will make a trip to Copenhagen with his wife where they will both give presentations lobbying for the games. One wonders that how important of an issue are the Olympics to the public now, there is a case for both sides. On the one hand, we have so many issues facing our country at the moment how could President Obama be worried about Olympic games years in our future? On the other side of the argument the publicity, revenues, and renovations that the Olympics bring could be a huge boost to Chicago as well as the country. I am sure that there is no right answer just what the public thinks, as for the Olympics we will have to wait and see.
Comments:
<< Home
Maybe he can get it hosted here in the US and Softball will get reinstated on the Olympic program since it was cut out for the 2012 games.
I agree that there are more pressing issues right now Obama should be focused on. But I also think the Olympics could do a lot for the economy, as well as patriotism/support for the US.
I think there are much more pressing issues, and with the economy where it is right now, getting the Olympics signed up for years down the road will do very little if anything to get it back on track. Obama has constantly showed his face in places he probably shouldn't, considering the amount of problems the US has right now.
I agree that Obama may have more important things on his hands right now; however, having the olympics here in the US will do wonders for our nation. Chicago will benefit from having the Olympics, which inturn will boost the economy.
There are definetly bigger issues our country is facing instead of hosting the Olympics in 2016. I think it would be really cool to have the Olympics in Chicago because it does bring in a ton of revenue and publicity. I do not disagree with him wanting to lobby for them to be here but he really should worry about getting our country back on track before he looks that far down the road.
The President is human what some fail to understand. He loves to work hard and is entitled to play hard. Most men in the US are sports fans why can't the president be. We all know that it is very stressful being President.So anytime he can take a few minutes to do something dealing with sports let him do it. As long as he doesn't spend majority of his time with sports. Let him feel proud of bringing the Olympics back to the states. I don't think its anything wrong with the president rallying to get olympics in Chicago.
I believe this is a personal preference situation. Different people are going to have different opinions. Could Obama be spending his time with more important things that a trip to lobby for the Olympics? Probably. But I am a fan of the Olympics, so naturally, I want to see it in the US, so maybe there is a SLIGHT chance that he could do something to help that. You could look at this from a number of ways. I need to read more from the news on this situation.
Well, he wasn't able to convince the IOC to host the 2016 Olympics in Chicago... so guess Obama can now move on to more important things facing our nation. Although it would have been way cool to have the Olympics in the US!
I think hosting the Olympics could have put America back in a good light with many nations, but since it's going to be in Rio, we'll never know. However, since we no longer have to worry about the olympics, perhaps he'll start refocusing his attention back to the issues most dire.
I agree about his focus, Steer. The Olympics should have been on the backburner, PERIOD. There is a war going on. I would also like to ask a queestion. Has anyone else noticed the extreme decline in coverage of Iraq and Afghanistan since Obama took over office???
Post a Comment
<< Home
