Thursday, September 17, 2009

 

Racism

A recent article on Yahoo talks about the use of the word 'racism,' and asks if it is being over-used. It basically goes on to say that people are using racism as the accusation for anything they disagree with. It even poses the question, "If everyone is racist, is anyone?"

Of course, this has stemmed from the Wilson outburst and Jimmy Carter's views on the matter.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oh, and here is the article if you want to read it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_on_re_us/us_crying_racism

Comments:
I think society has changed the connotation of the term "racist." It is thrown around so much in the political arena today. This article shows this in a very well-detailed way. Has our society really come as far as we think on the race issue? I don't think so. I think it has evolved (at least in politics) in such a way that the media creates racial problems by labeling people. This idea spreads throughout society, and racism/discrimination is at large once again as people choose sides.
 
I think that it is ridiculous how the term"racism" is being brought into this situation. People are not angry with Obama because he is black, people are angry (for the most part) because of the liberal agenda. If it was a white man standing in front of Congress instead of Obama, I would go as far as to say that Senator Wilson would have done the same thing. Their are people still in this country who are racist, and it is one of the things that despise more than anything else. But I do ot belive that because someone disagrees with a black man, it makes them racist. This whole situation, especially Jimmy Carter's quote, is being taken completely to a level that is ridiculous. I love how Obama symbolizes the advancement we have made in this country concerning race and overcoming adversity. That being said, I think the "race card" is thrown about without discretion. It is frustrating, and I think it is a smokescreen trying to be thrown up.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?